5.16.2011

Student Loans Terrify Me


I am continually getting letters telling me about grace periods and various payments for student loans.  Trying to be responsible, I decided it was a good idea to review all of my student loan information.  Now I want to cry, or barf...or maybe both.  Who knows?  Maybe selling my organs on the black market is the best choice - anyone need a kidney?

For a bachelor's degree in english, here's the current damage (mind you, I have already made several payments):
    $19,681.34  VSAC
        4,523.00  ECSI
      32,516.22  Citibank
      20,989.56  Bank of America
   + 18,643.00  Direct Loans        
    $96,353.12  total student debt

To consolidate or not to consolidate?  That is one of the questions.  Beyond that, anyone out there have any financial advice?

Coming soon: art for sale!

Available now: girl for hire*
    *restrictions apply

4 comments:

  1. I will happily follow. I know it will be entertaining. As for your current dilemma, I wish you the best. This economy and this country's inability to provide free education is really ruining people's chances of trying to live a comfortable, stress-limited life. It's outrageous. Good luck. Don't cry...or barf. It's going to be okay. I love the drawing.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep opening doors - with your wit and brainpower opportunities appear - I was taught to consolidate and pay high interest loans first - oh yes and keep breathing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm told that HowStuffWorks has a decent explanation of legitimate debt consolidation.

    http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/debt-management/non-profit-debt-consolidation.htm

    If you can't make your payments, call your lenders. They can change the timeline of your loan, thereby reducing the amount of the payment.

    Or, Stuff White People Like style, you could go to law school.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Betty!

    You are a vibrant player who has had the luxury of a college education in a very troubling time.

    In a few chapters, debt's nightmarish shreik will subside to a low, familiar hum.

    My unsolicited advice: passion is inversely proportional to debt. Follow your passions and your life will be filled with wealths not measured in dollars. Your bills will be manageable, and your life will electrify you.

    ReplyDelete