5.19.2011

Barista Rant (Numero Uno)

Here is a basic outline of an encounter I have on a regular basis with customers:

At the register
    Customer:  Can I have a decaf (insert coffee beverage of choice here)?
    Me:  A decaf (coffee beverage)?  Sure.  What size would you like?
    Customer:  Decaf.
    Me:  Yup.  What size?
    Customer:  Oh, uh...I guess the middle size.
    Me:  Alright.  Would you like anything else?
    Customer:  That's decaf though, right?
    Me:  Yup, a decaf medium (coffee beverage).  Anything else?

Less than two minutes later at handoff
    Me:  Here's your decaf medium (coffee beverage).
    Customer:  Is this mine?
    Me:  Uh-huh - the decaf medium (coffee beverage).  Thanks.
    Customer:  This is decaf?
    Me:  It is.  Have a nice day.



HOLY COW.   

First of all, why WHY does this always happen?!  I mean, I can totally understand wanting to make sure your beverage is decaf, but come ON!  1 - I am not stupid.  2 - When I repeat what you asked for, it is because I am conveying to you my understanding of what you would like and giving you opportunity to make modifications.  3 - When you continually reiterate what you would like, you only make yourself seem completely idiotic as well as careless.  I am a human, I am speaking to you and asking you questions.  You are not listening to any of the words that come out of my mouth.  4 - Asking me that many times, no matter who you are or why you're asking, makes me really REALLY want to give you caffeine, or dirty sink water.  Don't worry though, I wouldn't actually do that. 

So please, be kind to your barista.  Pay attention when we talk to you.  Trust that we are not completely careless and incapable.  Our job is harder than it looks and a lot of us are damn good at it.  We also have the power to mess you up without making you aware of it; lucky for you, our judgment is usually better than that.  =)

Postscript: You can expect a lot of these little gems - around forty hours of my week are spent slinging coffee and providing legendary customer service while trying not to completely lost my mind.

1 comment: