5.23.2011

jars, loofahs and handkerchiefs



Billy Goat and I have been on an eco-friendly(ish) kick lately.  Especially since we saw this video about plastic:


We've been doing the obvious reusable grocery bags, and I have been trying to be good about using my travel mugs and water bottles - I do have like, EIGHT for Pete's sake!

Here's the problem, so much of our food comes in nonrecyclable/reusable packaging.  I've ditched all those pesky produce bags and just started making the cashiers gather up fifteen apples, wet lettuce and more.  I've been on the lookout for reusable mesh produce bags, but I can't seem to find any that are cheap enough.  Yes, leave it to me, the cheapskate, to try to save the environment on a budget.

Of course, I've been shopping in the bulk bins for a while - and Healthy Living at least lets you bring your own containers, as long as you weigh 'em!  So yes, I do walk into the store with several canvas bags and one full of clanking jars and tupperware (any time we run out of olives, vegenaise, pickles, etc I save the jar!).  And yes, I get CRAZY looks - even in Vermont - but honestly, it makes so much less garbage!

For the stuff where I can't just put it in my own thing, I have been looking at products that make some effort at eco-friendliness.  There are tons of post-recycled material packages and more and more are going to more plant-based wrappers (wood pulp?!).  I feel like I am always paying more for the eco-friendly packages on these things and it is really driving me crazy!  WHY can't the better-for-the-environment packaging be cheaper?  Or, at least why can't more places commit to using it and make it a standard for consumerism?

In theory, I could bypass the whole issue by making my own foods.  But really, am I going to actually be able to make a delicious and satisfying gluten-free and vegan pasta or bread or chips?  Probably not.  I like to leave that to the pros.  And the idea of handkerchiefs makes me want to barf.  Reusable snot rags?  Save some boogers in your pocket?  G-R-O-S-S.



I also don't really know how to craft my own loofah.  (Yes, I use a loofah.  I love sudsy showers and freshly exfoliated skin.)  They have all sorts of post-recycled material ones or the ones made from actual plant.  The ones made from plant tend to be too scratchy or too pricy.  And I'm wondering - is post-recycled material really a better option?  I guess that if it is not the first time it is being manufactured and processed, that's a good thing.  And maybe when it ends up in the landfill, it will be a few less loofahs, but how much better is it?

On another note, I got a bicycle at the bike swap a while ago.  AND I HEART MY BIKE A LOT.  But I am having trouble committing to using it.  My car is on it's way out.  If I get on the highway, it inevitably tries to stop working - first it repeatedly pitches me forward, then it starts decelerating beyond my control only to speed back up out of nowhere while people try to pass me!  The thing is, my ride to work is a hilly forty-five minute ride.  And sometimes I have to be at work at five in the morning.  I always end up with limited time when I am around town too, so the trip out then back to my house to get the car to go do whatever that requires the car makes it impossible to accomplish anything!  Hopefully this will all be remedied soon when I find a job closer to home.  Regardless, I really need to start loving my bike a lot more.  It is way better for the environment, my body and my wallet with these gas prices!


What kinds of things are you doing to reduce waste and help out the planet?

1 comment:

  1. I always wonder why things that are better for you and the environment are the most unattainable things. It really is frustrating! I always forget to bring the reusable bags to the store when we go shopping at home and it's bogus because all those plastic bags pile up and get in the way. It's such a waste. I have been talking about biking too. I could really use a bike. When I have money I think I'll invest in one but the worst part about it is that Long Island is not very bike friendly, a car is necessary if you want to make it there alive. So, I think most of my bike riding would be for recreational use, which kind of stinks, since these gas prices are highway robbery!! Good luck on finding a job, you like that is closer to home :)

    ReplyDelete